Architecture and the Global Industry
"Architecture is the starting point for anyone who wants to take humanity towards a better future ". – Le Corbusier
Architecture is a science and an amalgamation of Art and Technology. It is not restricted to mere design and construction of a building but extends to the ‘design of a space’. Walls, floors, roofs are just the elements that enclose the space which is designed by an architect. It involves design elements and principles to design a space. Good architecture is the perfect balance of these elements and principles. To be a good architect one must be able to design habitable spaces for the users rather than just the physical skeleton of the building. Architecture lies much more inside than outside the structure and it must be experienced by the user consciously or subconsciously. Apart from buildings and the surrounding spaces, landscapes are also equally important to be designed by an architect. In short Architecture deals with emotions, feelings and psychology of the users and an architect must be sensitive enough to these aspects of users.
Architects are the visualizers of society and are responsible for the entire social & infrastructural development that we see around us. They are an extremely vital part of society since without architects habitable & environment friendly buildings, and soothing landscapes in the world wouldn’t exist.
In today’s scenario of Globalization, the Infrastructure industry is growing very fast. Design and Technology are not restricted only to a specific area or country. The world has opened doors for innovative, creative and technically sound architects to fulfill the demand for infrastructure growth. Thus, Architecture is a thriving field in the global market and has an ever-increasing demand for skilled professionals.
This comprehensive blog covers all the major factors that are involved while seeking a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture. Read on to understand what is B. Arch., eligibility, admission process, required skills, scope, career options, best Architecture colleges, options for higher studies, top employment companies and much more.
What exactly is Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.)?
Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.) is an undergraduate degree in the field of Architecture. It’s a 5-years full-time degree program that blends into various subjects like Basic Design, History of Architecture, Architectural drawing and graphics, Architectural Design, Landscape Design, Building services, Theory of Structures, Professional Practice and Advanced Building Technology and Materials. It also includes practical training/internship for one semester where students work in an architect’s office as interns. It’s an amalgamation of theoretical knowledge and practical experience which trains the students in acquiring skills like design, working drawings, planning, documentation, and on-site experience.
Architects are involved throughout the project right from the concept to the actual ready to use infrastructure. This field also trains the students in perfecting skills like creativity, good communication skills, creative thinking skills, observant attitude, team-building skills etc.
The main objective of this course is to provide extremely skilled professionals in the field of architecture to the global market. Apart from that students have a diverse range of subject matter which equips them with the knowledge and skills required to deal with socio-cultural, regional, climatic problems, etc. A career in Architecture is extremely lucrative due to its growing demand in the global market along with a lot of developing potential.
B.Arch. - Eligibility and Entrance Exams
The duration of the B.Arch. program is 5 years and let us take a look at the eligibility criteria for this program along with entrance exams conducted in India.
The Eligibility Criteria for B. Arch.
Candidates have to complete their 10+2 Examination with 50% in HSC examination or equivalent examination with 50% Aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics. 45% reserved for category candidates from Maharashtra state only.
- Candidates with class 10+ 3-year diploma from a recognized university/ board/ institution with Mathematics in any one year can also apply for this program.
- Valid score at National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA) conducted by Council of Architecture or JEE Paper – II. For more details about NATA, please visit coa.gov.in
B.Arch. Entrance Exams
NATA 2020 (National Aptitude Test in Architecture) conducted by Council of Architecture (CoA) is the main B.Arch. entrance exam.
The NATA 2020 measures the aptitude of the students for specific field of study, i.e. Architecture. The test measures drawing and observation skills, sense of proportion, aesthetic sensitivity and critical thinking ability that have been acquired over a long period of time and that are related to a specific field of study, i.e. Architecture.
- NATA 2020: As stated earlier, this is considered an official exam for B.Arch. admission. It consists of two parts: Part A and Part B.
- Part A consists of Drawing Test, and Part B is of PCM questions and Aptitude Test consists of Logical Reasoning.
- JEE Mains 2020 (Paper II): Non zero score in JEE paper II
Skills required for a career in B.Arch.:
Various skills are required to build a successful career in Architecture. These skills are diverse but extremely essential for this field. Let’s take a look at them in detail:
- Sensitivity: Architecture students must be sensitive enough to understand the physical and emotional needs of the user keeping in mind the environmental and the sustainability aspects of design.
- Creativity: The student must be creative in his/her thinking. He/she must think out of the box for a given problem. A master architect is the one whose design solutions are unique and different from other architects. He/she must be creative enough to set a trend of his/her own.
- Aptitude: The student must have basic aptitude to understand Architecture, creativity, and design. This cognitive ability helps the student to learn, adapt, identify the problem statement and suggest the Design solution for the same.
- Logical Thinking / Reasoning: Once the problem statement is identified, the student must approach the solution with logical thinking/reasoning. The student must ask himself/herself the question “why”. This ability helps the student to identify simple and practical solutions to a complex problem.
- Structural Mathematics: The student must understand the Theory of structures and the behaviour of structures while designing the buildings. The actual structural design of a building is done by Structural designers (Civil Engineers) as per the directions and requirements of an Architect.
- A methodical approach and analytical Thinking: Not just the technical knowledge, a good architect must be able to derive the appropriate Design methodology for specific design exercises and must be able to analyze the context and situation to implement the suitable design methodology.
- Communication skills: Effectively communicating your ideas and thoughts to people whom you work with on different projects is important in this field. Your skills and knowledge should reflect on your communication. You should be able to convince the client with proper drawings and references.
- Social awareness: Tremendous social responsibility is shouldered by an Architect as he/she is involved in planning and designing the buildings, landscapes and other infrastructures. His/her designs must be environment friendly and sustainable. He/she must think about the end-users may it be a child, a differently abled person or anyone from the social strata.
- Digital Skills: This includes learning and the application of various software used for designing and drawing. Many of them are taught during the course.
- Team-building skills: Architecture is basically teamwork as so many agencies are involved in the successful execution of a structure/campus or at city planning level. Various consultants are appointed at the design stage for a proper functioning of the structure. Being the main designer, an architect must coordinate with all these consultants, take their inputs and modify/revise the drawing/design if required. Thus, architects must have Team building skills as the TEAM is an integral part of design and execution.
PG Courses and Further Studies after B.Arch.
Let us look at various options that are available after B.Arch. There are two major options to choose from after B.Arch. The first option is to pursue post-graduation or higher studies. And the second option is to seek a job or start your own practice.
In this section let’s focus on the first option.
As stated earlier, Architecture is a TEAM work and various specialized consultants are appointed on a project. These are very much related to the design and execution of the project. This may include Urban Design, Urban Planning, Conservation, Construction and Project management, Landscape design, Environmental and Sustainable Design etc.
After B.Arch. many post-graduate specializations are available. To pursue any master’s program the candidate must appear for examinations such as M. Arch CET in Maharashtra, GATE etc. to pursue higher studies.
Let’s take a look at the higher study options for B.Arch.:
Eligibility criteria for M. Arch. (in Maharashtra)
- Arch. CET, GATE.
- Minimum 50% marks in aggregate in Bachelor of Architecture degree course or equivalent courses recognized by the apex body.
- Minimum 45% for reserved category candidates from Maharashtra state only.
The following specializations are available for further studies.
- Arch in Construction Management:
This stream is very important for an architect as it involves various aspects of managing the construction activity right from procurement of material, managing labor, coordinating with various consultants and contractors, Financial feasibility of the project and Time management. If an architect acquires this knowledge/specialization he/she will consider all these aspects while designing and which will help him/her in smooth running and timely completion of the project.
- Arch. in Landscape Design:
This specialization involves designing of open/unbuilt spaces in and around the building. This is mainly divided into Hard landscape and Soft landscape which include planting design, vegetation, outdoor furniture and lighting etc.
- Arch in Urban Design/Planning
This specialization includes Design/Planning solutions at the Urban level and in the Urban context. In this, the student is exposed to various aspects of Urban design/ planning such as Climate, Social context, Social activities and Social response. Policies at the urban level are formulated by Urban planners. Both Design and Planning are separate specialization entities in detail.
- Environmental / Sustainable Design
This specialization is related to environmental / Sustainable aspects of design at micro as well as at macro level. Green building, Green rating, carbon footprints, etc. are part of this specialization. Both Environmental and Sustainable Design are separate specialization entities in detail.
- Master in Architecture Pedagogy
This specialization is related to the Theory of Architecture and Teaching methodologies of Architecture.
- Master in Digital Architecture
This specialization includes an application of various advanced software to design and execute the project by simulations. This facilitates a proper understanding of the project in all respect before it is executed.
- Masters in Architecture:
This is one of the most popular choices after completion of B.Arch. It is generally a two-year program and has a more in-depth approach to the field of architecture. It is an advanced degree in the field of Architecture.
- Arch. in Conservation and Restoration:
This master’s degree program is fit for individuals with an inclination towards conservation and restoration of various structures and historical monuments.
- Des. in Industrial Design:
This program is concerned primarily with designing and developing consumer or industrial products, furniture, lighting fixtures etc. to fulfill the users’ needs in the most efficient way possible.
Scope of B.Arch in India
Rapid economic development in the last few decades along with growing urbanization in India has led to an ever-increasing demand for creating spaces that are not only affordable but also aesthetically pleasing. This has resulted in tremendous growth in demand for architects and jobs related to architecture right from the planning and design stage of a building to actual execution in reality.
Career & Job Opportunities after B. Arch
After B. Arch, you can either opt for higher studies or apply for jobs. There are several positions in organizations for candidates with a B. Arch. degree. Architects have lots of job opportunities in architectural firms, consultancy companies, etc. The global market, especially in the USA, Australia and Dubai provide attractive career and jobs for architecture graduates. There are tonnes of opportunities for B.Arch. graduates in the public as well as the private sector.
Getting a job after B.Arch. has a diverse field open to choose from like, urban planning, urban development corporations, public works department, interior designing, etc. In India, various architectural firms, consultancies, government organizations have several positions open at all times for architecture professionals. Some public and government organizations that offer jobs for architects are Archaeological Department, Central and State Public Work Departments, City Development Authorities, Department Of Railways, Housing and Urban Development Corporation, Housing Development Corporations, Ministry of Defence, Municipalities, National Building Organization, National Institutes of Urban Affairs and Housing, Public Works Department, State Housing Boards.
- Architecture Designer
- Urban Planner
- Project and Construction Management consultant
- Landscape Architect
- Architectural Conservation and Restoration
- Green Building Consultant
- Interior Designer
- Housing Management
- Architectural Assistant
- Architectural Historian/Journalist
- Art Director
B.Arch.: Top Companies & Recruiters
After successfully completing a degree in B.Arch. one can seek employment in top Indian firms who provide jobs to candidates with this degree. Let’s take a look at some top recruiters in India: -
- Sahara Group
- Eros Group
- Stupa Architecture Consultant
- CCBA Designs Pvt. Ltd.
- Manchanda Associates
- Architect Consultants
- VSA Space Design (P) Ltd.
- Edifice Architects Pvt.Ltd.
- Chitra Vishwanath Architects
- Aeons Construction
And many more . . .
After looking at all the above points we can conclude that Architecture lies amongst the most booming fields in the market with a tremendous scope of jobs and career opportunities. In India particularly, the demand for architects is quite high which results in decent paying jobs. Hence, for a person who is skilled in both creativity and technical knowledge, has a knack of designing and developing new things, and is good at problem solving, logical reasoning and communication, this career can be the best option for you.
Build a successful architecture career with just a click
Dr. D Y Patil College of Architecture, Akurdi Pune (College Code AR 6538) offers vibrant Undergraduate and Postgraduate degree (in Construction Management) programs for candidates that are aspiring to build a career in architecture. B.Arch. is a 5-years full time course with a dual theoretical and practical approach. To gain practical knowledge, onsite teaching and learning is the key aspect of the college philosophy with placement assistance.
Our college is affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University and is recognized by the Council of Architecture, New Delhi. With a distinguished faculty and world-class education, this course creates extremely skilled architects that are capable of conquering the global market with their skills. You can explore our Architecture college website www.dypcoa.ac.in to know more about the program along with courses offered, admission process, fee structure, etc. You can also fill up a form there to get all the additional details. Register now and build your successful career in architecture!